Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Is the .224 Valkyrie worth the extra work!

I have a chance to but a Savage MSR in .224 Valkyrie and was wondering if it was really worth the investment? I understand it’s better on paper then .223 but is it enough different for new gun, brass, dies, time and effort? My other option was a new Savage MSR 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Not sure which way to go.

Title
    Premium Member
    I'd go the valkyrie route. I shot one in an ar platform and it is super sweet. It's supposed to stay supersonic at well over 1000 yards with a 90 grain bullet. I plan on building an upper in the valkyrie round.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Make sure it is a recent Savage. The early ones are having problems. The chambers are out of spec. I have a 224 Valkyrie from D-Tech Uppers and it is AMAZING! Thus far I have ran it to 966 yards on a 4 inch square steel target. With handloads, I am getting half inch 5 round groups at 100. At 500 yards it is still staying near half moa.

Where it shines is ar15 gas guns to get the distance and wind bucking of an ar10. Deer, coyotes, and hogs have been taken with it humanely.

Lots of guys are having great luck with it in custom bolt guns.

Between the 224V and 6.5CM.... Do you want a heavier and bigger rifle? The 6.5CM and 224V are very similar with wind and elevation holds. The 6.5CM does have a slight edge there and also for downrange energy. The 224V has literally ZERO recoil. Mine basically slightly vibrates when it launches. It all boils down to what you want to use it for...

Title
    Administrator
    If you want to shoot heavier bullets, and be able to reach out 800-1000 yards, and with almost no recoil, it is a great round for that
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcraig View Post
    I have a chance to but a Savage MSR in .224 Valkyrie and was wondering if it was really worth the investment? I understand it’s better on paper then .223 but is it enough different for new gun, brass, dies, time and effort? My other option was a new Savage MSR 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Not sure which way to go.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Sage View Post
    If you want to shoot heavier bullets, and be able to reach out 800-1000 yards, and with almost no recoil, it is a great round for that
    BINGO!!!! I don't know if I emphasized it enough in my post. Wes hit the nail on the head! Mine literally just vibrates when it launches.

I run the 90smk, Federal GMM primer, and RL17.

Title
    Premium Member
    Wes, have you guys tried it on Prairie Dogs? 224V with zmax.... hmm

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Title
    Administrator
    No one in our group has one for PD hunting. We have to stick with 223 for barrel life
    On a good season or 2, we can still burn out a barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by UH60_TrunkMonkey View Post
    Wes, have you guys tried it on Prairie Dogs? 224V with zmax.... hmm

Title
    Premium Member
    Such a horrible problem to have!

Title
    Premium Member

Is the .224 Valkyrie worth the extra work!

Thanks for the input. I had already decided on 6.5 CM and already bought brass in preparation. I don’t mind recoil since my coyote gun now is a 300WM using 168g. I’m getting a long range AR but not sure if large or small frame. I’ll likely get both but only one this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I have a Valkyrie, but haven't messed with it much. I like it so far though. I won't take the CM route because they seem to be stealing Wildcats from people and calling it their own. The 22cm is a 22/243 that has been around for years. The 6 cm is a 6mm Rem ripoff basically and the new 8.3mm is from what I have hear a stolen .338 Federal. I don't like thieves so I will stick with a .260, the Real 6.5...the Swede, or the 6.5 PRC.